Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Writing for work

I have made quite a few references to, “I write for work” and that is exactly what I do. I am one of those rare IT individuals that enjoys writing. No, I don't have one focus that I work on as I enjoy writing a lot of different things. I can write the policies that are required, procedures about how to do something or even the training manual that will be used in a classroom environment. I also like helping people figure out why something is done the way it is and then either document those steps or help them figure out a better way of doing the task.

I am not afraid of seeing a blank page in front of me and in some case I find the blank page a challenge that needs to be met. A blank page is just something that is waiting to be used for words or diagrams to be put onto it. I know that I was one of those that found writing for work a challenge at first but now I have to admit that I really enjoy it and would love to show more of what I have written for work on our website.

Challenges of working for clients is that I am unable to show what I have written because of Non-disclosure agreements. Also in a lot of cases the subjects that I have been writing about are for the specific client and cannot be used in other situations. I am now developing means of writing some general procedures or policies to show some of what I can do.

Being able to write for the love it it is also rewarding because through my writing I have assisted others in seeing what they do and why. I have also been able to help clarify some steps of a process and even make it better or at least easier to do.

For me seeing a work-flow and how things progress is wonderful and I know in a number of cases I am the one that is documenting the work-flow because no one knows the entire process. Now, of course all of this writing does take a bit of time and that is something that people don't understand. No, I cannot snap my fingers and get a document ready immediately because it will need some research and then revisions because of issues or even possible changes that can be done.

The love of writing has got me to where I am now and I hope that I will be able to use my writing skills more in the future by assisting organizations in meeting their needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment